Acne also referred to as pimples is a common issue for many teens and adults. The medical professionals at Franciscan Health offer a variety of acne treatments to help clear up acne breakouts.
Treating and Clearing Acne in Patients of All Ages
Acne is an inflammatory process that causes blocked pores, pimples or cysts. Treatment of acne with prescription cleansers, topical skin products and oral medicines can be effective. Newer treatment with BLU-U light or chemical peels can be of great help in clearing the skin of acne.
When to make an appointment for acne treatment
- Your acne is very bad (for example, you have a lot of redness around the pimples, or you have cysts)
- Your acne is getting worse
- You develop scars as your acne clears up
- Your acne is causing emotional stress
Franciscan Health acne treatment options
- Self-Care: Our doctors can advise you on the types of cleansers or over-the-counter medications that may work best with your specific acne condition. They can also recommend frequency of washing your face, other things you can do - and tips on what not to do.
- Medications: Antibiotics have proven to be helpful for some people with acne, either oral (taken by mouth) or topical (applied to the skin in a cream or lotion). Other medical treatments include prescription creams and gels and mild hormone pills.
- Outpatient procedures: In more serious cases, your doctor may recommend laser therapy, chemical skin peeling, dermabrasion or cortisone treatments. See Dermatology.
- BLU-U light therapy: The FDA approved blue-light therapy for treatment of acne works by killing acne causing bacteria and is being used to treat inflammatory acne. The BLU-U therapy is safe and does not contain harmful UV light.
Locations Near Me
Camby, IN 46113-8837