Aquatic Physical Therapy
Aquatic physical therapy at Franciscan Health includes water exercise and other low-impact activities performed in a therapy pool. Water training is an excellent rehabilitation tool for recovery from injury or disease or as a part of a wellness/fitness program.
Aquatic Physical Therapy: A Low Impact Rehab Option
Physical therapy has been recognized as a vital component in the successful rehabilitation of a variety of musculoskeletal disorders. However, there may be times when a traditional land-based rehabilitation program is too challenging for individuals suffering from a diagnosis such as osteoarthritis. Aquatic therapy can prove to be a successful alternative for these individuals.
Benefits of aquatic physical therapy:
- The buoyancy of water helps to reduce or eliminate the effects of gravity on the body. This is helpful if you are learning to walk again after an injury or if you are uncomfortable exercising outside of the water.
- Water offers natural resistance to movement, allowing individuals to strengthen muscles as they perform a variety of activities.
- Water exercise provides a total body workout and is a great way to improve general strength, endurance and cardiovascular fitness.
- Most patients in our aquatic program feel the warm water provides a more relaxing environment for their joint pains and limited movements.
- Participants in water exercise do not have to know how to swim. Many activities can be performed with your feet on the pool floor with plenty of support nearby.
Locations Near Me
Lafayette, IN 47905