Cancer Survivorship Program
When your cancer treatment ends, our care keeps going. At Franciscan Health our cancer survivorship programs help cancer survivors transition into their post-active treatment lives.
Guidance and Support Beyond Cancer Treatment
Major advances have been made in cancer treatment, technology and research resulting in more and more people surviving cancer every year. Once treatment ends, many patients and their families feel lost and concerned about next steps. At Franciscan Health, our concern for you doesn’t stop when your cancer treatment is complete.
Services and programs for cancer survivors
A cancer survivorship program provides assistance related to education, care coordination, follow-up medical care, physical changes, spiritual care and more so you can move past cancer and live life to the fullest.
- Survivorship Care Plan and Care Coordination: A survivorship care plan is a coordinated, post-treatment plan for you and your entire health care team, including oncologists, primary care doctor and other providers. With each plan, you and your physicians receive a complete history of your cancer care. Clear steps are provided to identify treatment goals and manage care after active treatment, including guidelines on monitoring for possible secondary cancers, long-term side effects, schedule for follow-up tests and support services.
- Support Groups and Educational Workshops: You and your family have access to a variety of support groups and classes – many in partnership with the American Cancer Society - designed to help with emotional, physical and spiritual well-being.
- Psychosocial Screening: Screenings for psychosocial distress are provided to help you and your family to identify stresses that may arise. Referrals are provided to help you cope and may include online communities, support groups and individual counseling sessions. (currently offered only in Indianapolis)
- Hereditary Cancer Program: 5 to 10 percent of all cancer is hereditary and caused by a genetic change that is passed from generation to generation within a family. Our Hereditary Cancer program offers genetic counseling and testing for you and your family. (currently offered only in Indianapolis)
- Spiritual Care: Chaplains and clergy from various faith backgrounds are available 24 hours a day. Spirituality can be a great source of strength, hope and meaning as you and your family cope with cancer and its impact on your life.
- Palliative Care: Relieving suffering and improving quality of life for you throughout the course of your cancer treatment and beyond. It offers you comfort through control of pain and other physical symptoms, along with relief of psychological, social and spiritual distress. Palliative care works with your treatment team in a holistic manner to deliver the best possible care for you. Assistance is provided to help you clarify your goals of care through a living will or advanced directives
Contact your local Franciscan Health cancer care services programs for additional cancer survivorship services.