Franciscan Health offers accredited cardiac rehabilitation programs designed to help patients with heart disease recover faster and return to full and productive lives.
Cardiac Rehabilitation - An Important Part of Recovery
Cardiac rehabilitation at Franciscan Health combines health education with an individualized exercise plan designed by your physician. The program includes aerobic exercise, strength training and flexibility, as well as outpatient education by registered dietitians, exercise physiologists, pharmacists and diabetes educators. Our goal is to help our patients achieve a healthy lifestyle and to actively manage their healthcare.
Cardiac rehabilitation will help you:
- Improve physical functioning.
- Learn more about your cardiovascular disease.
- Learn how to best manage your disease and reduce your dependence on health professionals and costly medical resources.
- Modify unhealthy lifestyle behaviors such as smoking, being overweight, and physical inactivity.
- Enhance your self-confidence and improve your quality of life following a cardiac event.
- Reduce your chances of having a heart attack or stroke.
A comprehensive, three-phase cardiac rehab program
Patients with heart disease can benefit from the comprehensive, three-phase program which provides the optimal amount of exercise and education during each stage of the recovery process.
Phase I is ordered by your physician after a heart attack or bypass surgery. This inpatient phase includes education concerning medication, physical activity and cardiovascular disease risk factors. It also includes range of motion exercises and walking.
Soon after you are discharged from the hospital, you can enter the outpatient – individual or group exercise - program. After your doctor refers you to the program, the rehab team will help you get started. You will have an initial evaluation and program orientation to provide you with a program that best meets your needs. Most insurance including Medicare covers the cost of this program.
This phase helps maintain a cardiac fitness program under supervised group settings. Learn, support and meet others that share your new healthy lifestyle.