Clinical research trials provide new ways to think about disease treatment and possible cures. While offering patients the opportunity to tap into advanced treatment options.
What are Clinical Trials?
Clinical trials are research studies that involve people. By conducting a carefully controlled test of a medicine, vaccine, medical device or medical procedure, they provide access to advancement in treatment options where there is currently no existing drug or regimen available. Clinical trials may also involve researching new uses for an already approved treatment.
Every treatment must go through the clinical research study process; it is the only way a new treatment can become approved for use.
Franciscan Health’s research team
The dedicated research professionals at Franciscan Health have more than 150 combined years of experience in leading clinical trials in a broad range of therapeutic areas. As a Catholic healthcare organization we are founded on the respect for all human life.
We have a Human Research Subject Protection Program, which includes:
- A board of active and involved clinicians who provide local oversight;
- Training for investigators, research staff and clinical staff assisting in the conduct of research; and
- An internal compliance auditing program
Finding a clinical trial
All kinds of people volunteer for clinical trials, however, the elected treatment often requires that participants meet certain criteria. The research team typically employs a checklist to find the types of volunteers they need. The schedule of currently-enrolling trials occurring at Franciscan Health changes regularly – your physician or research team can match your medical history with a study checklist to see if there is a clinical trial that is right for you.
Participating in a clinical trial
Choosing to participate in a clinical trial is an important personal decision. You’ll want to contact the research staff and ask questions about the specific trial, the care expected while involved and any cost associated if applicable.
The benefits of our clinical trials program include:
- Access to advancement in treatment options and promising investigational interventions that are generally not available outside of a clinical trial
- Board-certified physicians as well as a staff of experienced registered nurses, phlebotomists and other support personnel
- An intervention that may be more effective than standard therapy and the potential to be among the first to benefit
- An opportunity to help other people who need cancer treatment in the future
Locations Near Me
1542 South Bloomington Street
Greencastle, IN 46135-2212