Family Medicine for Your Primary Care Physician
Family medicine physicians see patients of all ages, from birth to seniors. Family physicians diagnose and treat medical illnesses, provide preventive care such as annual checkups and health risk assessments, and provide guidance on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. In addition, they manage chronic conditions and can refer to specialists or coordinate hospital care as needed.
Family medicine services
Choosing a physician for you and your family is an important step toward making sure that you stay on the road to good health. Family medicine physicians are specially trained to care for your family's healthcare needs, even when you are not sick.
Family medicine services include:
- Routine checkups and health screenings
- Weight loss counseling
- Newborn, pediatric and adolescent care
- Wellness visits
- Preventive care
Primary care doctors (family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics) provide personal care for their patients and coordinate other medical care as needed. Your primary care physician, or PCP, can treat a wide variety of medical conditions and works with you to promote health and wellness through:
- Diagnosing and treating common health problems
- Referring and coordinating your medical care with specialists when needed
- Promoting a healthy lifestyle and disease prevention
- Managing your medications