Golfers Elbow Treatment
Golfer's elbow is a common injury that affects not only athletes but anyone, who frequently uses repetitive motion. The orthopedic doctors at Franciscan Health offer expert golfers elbow treatment.
What Causes Golfer's Elbow?
Golfer's elbow, also called baseball elbow or medial epicondylitis, results from damaged or inflamed tendons which cause pain on the inside of the elbow extending to the wrist. This can be caused by weak wrist and shoulder muscles or by repetitive activities, such as:
- Swinging a golf club
- Pitching a baseball
- Using a computer
- Lifting weights
- Carrying a heavy suitcase
- Chopping wood with an ax
- Operating a chainsaw
What are the symptoms of Golfer’s Elbow?
Symptoms of golfer’s elbow can include:
- Pain in the inside of the elbow
- Tightness/stiffness along the inside of the elbow
- Numbness or tingling in the elbow, sometimes into the hand and fingers
How to Treat Golfers Elbow
Taking a break from any activity that produces painful symptoms typically relieves those symptoms. Your doctor may also suggest some at-home treatment for golfers elbow, which might include:
- Wearing a brace over the back of the forearm to allow the muscles and tendons to rest.
- Taking over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin to reduce pain and swelling.
- Applying an ice pack.
- Strengthening exercises like squeezing a tennis ball or doing wrist curls using a lightweight dumbbell.
Golfer’s Elbow Surgery
If golfer’s elbow surgery is needed, Franciscan Health offers some of the best orthopedic surgeons in Indiana and South Suburban Chicago.
Golfer’s elbow surgery may help to relieve pain around the tendon. The surgeon will make an incision along the inside of the elbow to release tension any remove damaged tissue.
Locations Near Me
Crawfordsville, IN 47933