Heart and Vascular
Our emergency and cardiac departments have the right specialists, processes and equipment to provide the highest level of heart and vascular care for our patients. Six hospitals are accredited Chest Pain Centers, and multiple others have won awards and rank nationally for heart care excellence.
Need a specialist? Search our physician directory for help finding a cardiologist who is right for you.
Welcome to Franciscan Health
Heart and Vascular
A Commitment to World-Class Heart and Vascular Care
Franciscan Health leads the way in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Our cardiac and vascular teams are composed of highly trained heart, vascular and thoracic surgeons, cardiologists, interventional radiologists, nurses and technicians working together to provide comprehensive, compassionate care.
What makes heart care at Franciscan Health different?
- A complete spectrum of care that treats even the most complex cases
- An expert medical team that pioneers next-generation techniques
- National and international recognition for our commitment to quality and excellence
- A multidisciplinary clinic in Indianapolis that allows patients to be seen by a team of experts in one visit
- World-renowned leaders in surgical treatment of complex cardiovascular conditions
- Innovative technology and clinical research that changes patient care
- Nurse navigators to guide patients and their families through treatment and beyond
- Research and clinical trials
- Expertise in minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Demonstrated quality outcomes
- Complex monitoring and long-term follow-up
We provide the full range of heart care from emergency intervention and minimally invasive procedures to open-heart surgery, cardiac rehabilitation and clinical trials. We are committed to producing positive outcomes and unparalleled patient care.
Franciscan Health delivers expertise and experience in the full range of cardiovascular imaging and diagnostic modalities. We offer a wide variety of services, including heart scan, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 3D technology.
Franciscan Health offers accredited cardiac rehabilitation programs designed to help patients with heart disease recover faster and return to full and productive lives.
Vascular services at Franciscan Health treat problems relating to or blood vessels within the body. Vascular care covers the relatively simple issues involving varicose veins to the complex issues surrounding arterial disease and aneurysms.
The comprehensive cardiovascular surgery program at Franciscan Health places world-class technology in the hands of highly-trained cardiac surgeons and nurses in exceptional facilities to produce phenomenal outcomes.
Interventional cardiology treatments are innovative ways to diagnose and treat heart issues using state-of-the-art technology and minimally invasive procedures. Interventional cardiology provides less pain during treatment and faster recovery after.
Our innovations and firsts
Franciscan Health in Indianapolis is home to the state’s first Heart Valve Center. This nationally and internationally recognized treatment center, established in 2006, is a leading innovator in total heart and vascular treatment:
- 2016: First in the world to implant a tissue-engineered regenerative CorMatrix® ECM® Tricuspid Valve in a phase I clinical device trial. Additionally, first in central Indiana to use the world's first FDA-approved Absorb dissolving heart stent in a patients with coronary artery disease.
- 2015: First in Indiana to implant the Evolut R valve, which is the first-and-only recapturable and repositionable device available in the U.S.
- 2014: First in Indiana to use the Edwards SAPIEN XT Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve. First in the United States to enroll patients in a landmark study performing minimally invasive closure of the left atrial appendage to prevent strokes. First in the United States to enroll patient in a landmark study, performing minimally invasive closure of the left atrial appendage to prevent strokes and first in Indiana to use the Edwards SAPIEN XT Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve.
- 2013: First in the United States to implant the On-X Aortic Prosthetic Valve with Anatomic Sewing Ring. The innovative valve is the only mechanical valve that matches the contour of the heart.
- 2012: Among the first in the nation to treat patients with the FDA-approved Edwards SAPIEN Transcatheter Heart Valve.
- 2011: First in the United States to use a breakthrough device to replace the aorta in a critically ill patient. Announced that it has performed the first post-FDA approval surgery in the United States using a new device for treating tricuspid valve disease.
- 2010: First in the United States to use a new device to reduce the risk of stroke for patients undergoing heart surgery.
- 2008: First in the world to repair heart valves using innovative technology to allow the heart to naturally regrow tissue. Ongoing research is directed at allowing regeneration of an entire heart valve.
- 2007: First in the world to pioneer a new surgery using groundbreaking technology to repair damaged heart structures while allowing the heart to naturally regrow tissue.