At Franciscan Health we believe that early detection is one of our best tools. Our heart scan imaging technology keeps us a step ahead of heart disease. In 10 minutes the non-invasive scan can help your doctor determine your risk for heart disease.
Heart Scan: The Test that Could Save Your Life
A heart scan is a non-invasive procedure that assesses the risk of coronary artery disease. While it only takes about 10 minutes to perform, it's the most advanced heart scan of its kind, offering greater accuracy and detail than other traditional CT scans. Most importantly, it could save your life.
Determine your risk of heart disease
The low cost heart scan helps determine your risk of heart disease. When you have this advance warning, you can change how you live your life to reduce your chances of having a devastating cardiovascular incident. The results of your exam represent peace of mind, since early detection is key to prevention. Considering over half the people who died suddenly of heart disease had no symptoms, what you know today can help save your life.
About the heart scan
Calcification in the coronary arteries is the earliest indicator of heart disease. The heart scan uses noninvasive, high-speed computerized tomography (CT) to scan your heart and detect calcium deposits along the walls of the arteries. A coronary artery calcium scoring exam produces a score that identifies your level of deposits. Additional factors such as age, family history and cholesterol level, enable your doctor to measure your potential for heart disease.
- You will be lying comfortably on the exam table for about five minutes, though the scan takes only seconds.
- There's no need to change your clothes, but all jewelry and metal items must be removed.
- Electrocardiogram leads will be placed on your chest to synchronize the scan with your heartbeats.
- You will be asked to hold your breath for a few seconds during scanning.
- There is no special preparation for the exam, no fasting, no injections or ceasing of medications.
Who qualifies for a heart scan?
Heart scans are recommended for men and women age 40 to 80, with one or more of the following risk factors:
- Current or former smoker
- Family history of heart disease (parent or sibling)
- Abnormal cholesterol levels (high total cholesterol or low HDL "good" cholesterol)
- High blood pressure
Your insurance may cover part or all of a screening or screening combination. If it doesn't, or you do not have insurance, below is what you will pay at any Franciscan Health facility that offers this. Not all screenings are available at every facility and you must meet the qualifications for each. Please ask which services are offered at you location.
|Heart/Lung Scan Combo*||$49|
|Heart/Vascular Screening Combo*||$79|
|Lung/Vascular Screening Combo*||$79|
|Heart/Lung/Vascular Screening Combo*||$79|
*Combo screenings are offered at most screening locations. Please call (833) 238-0688 to confirm.