Franciscan Health Interventional Pulmonology Care specializes in the advanced diagnosis and treatment of breathing disorders and lung diseases, from asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) to lung cancer and acute lung injuries.
Need a specialist? Search our physician directory for help finding a pulmonologist who is right for you.
Advanced Therapies for Complex Lung Diseases
Interventional pulmonology is a specialized field of medicine that diagnoses and treats a wide range of advanced respiratory diseases. From the evaluation, staging and therapy of lung cancers to the treatment of structural airway disorders, interventional pulmonology techniques often reduce recovery time, complication rates and discomfort associated with more invasive procedures.
The Franciscan Health Interventional Pulmonology program manages patients with complex respiratory problems, including chronic severe asthma, lung cancer, COPD and pleural diseases, using techniques that are less invasive than traditional surgical methods.
Interventional pulmonology treats patients with conditions that may require just an office consultation to patients with early and advanced stage lung cancer and critical illnesses who require treatment. We offer pulmonary function tests, bronchoscopy, advanced interventional pulmonology, pulmonary rehabilitation and other diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, as well as medical therapy and minimally invasive surgery. Services are provided in both outpatient and inpatient settings.
Some of the specialized diagnostics and therapies offered include:
Adult Asthma Program
- Bronchial thermoplasty (BT) for treatment of severe, persistent adult asthma
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) for staging, the process of determining how much cancer is in the body and where it is located.
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy (ENB) for minimally invasive lung biopsy
- Flexible and rigid bronchoscopy
- Tumor ablative therapies: cryotherapy, argon plasma coagulation, electrocautery, Airway Laser Therapy
- Airway stent (metallic, hybrid and silicone) placement and removal
- Balloon dilatation of airways
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Valve placement for bronchopleural fistula (air leaks in the lungs)
- Medical pleuroscopy with pleural biopsy and talc insufflation for pleurodesis
- Thoracic ultrasound-guided chest tube placement and thoracentesis
- PleurX® catheters for chronic indwelling pleural drainage