Less Pain and Faster Recovery with Interventional Radiology
Interventional radiology at Franciscan Health is staffed by board-certified physicians who use advanced technology to perform a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Many of these procedures are minimally invasive. Interventional radiologists use X-rays and MRIs to guide them when advancing catheters, wires, and other small instruments through the body, usually in an artery, to the source of the disease non-surgically. With few or no incisions, interventional radiology allows for less pain and a quicker recovery time for patients.
Benefits of interventional radiology
Interventional radiologists are board-certified physicians who specialize in minimally invasive, targeted treatments. They offer the most in-depth knowledge of the least-invasive treatments available coupled with diagnostic and clinical experience across all specialties.
- Most procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis or require only a short hospital stay.
- General anesthesia usually is not required.
- Risk, pain and recovery time are often significantly reduced.
- The procedures are sometimes less expensive than surgery or other alternatives.
Offering a full scope of interventional radiology
Today many conditions that once required surgery can be treated non-surgically by interventional radiologists. Interventional radiology treatments offer less risk, less pain and less recovery time compared to open surgery.
Additional Services Offered
- Balloon angioplasty and covered and non-covered stent placement
- Mesenteric and renal angioplasty and stenting
- Retrieval of intravascular foreign body
- Chest and arm port insertion
- Non-tunneled and tunneled central venous catheter placement
- Ultrasound and CT guided biopsy of all sites
- Percutaneous biliary drainage and stenting
- Preoperative embolization of renal tumors
- Pleurex catheter placement
- Cryoablation of tumors