Lactation consultants are professional breastfeeding specialists trained to teach mothers how to feed their baby. Challenges with breastfeeding are common for new moms. Most issues can be treated or solved by a lactation specialist.
Search our physician directory for help finding a doctor who is right for you.
Welcome to Franciscan Health
Lactation Specialists Provide Support for Breastfeeding Mothers
Breastfeeding (nursing) your baby can be a good experience for both mother and baby. It can also be frustrating for some mothers in the beginning. It takes time and practice to get comfortable with breastfeeding. Things you can do to help the process include:
- Start breastfeeding your baby in the hospital, right after birth.
- Ask for help from a lactation specialist or nurse to get you started.
- Read about breastfeeding before your baby is born.
At Franciscan Health, lactation specialists are available to mothers while they are in the hospital and as outpatients after discharge. Many concerns can be addressed over the phone.
Resources for breastfeeding mothers
Franciscan Health supports all efforts by mothers to breastfeed their babies. We also understand that it does not always come naturally. That's why we offer resources to help in different stages of breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding class - This one-session program prepares participants for the breastfeeding experience. Topics covered include the benefits of breastfeeding, preparing for nursing, techniques of breastfeeding, returning to work and breast pump selection. Fathers are encouraged to attend this class to learn how to support the new breastfeeding mother and baby.
- Breastfeeding support group - Our breastfeeding support group provides new mothers with information about breastfeeding and raising newborns. New mothers can ask questions and share and compare concerns with experienced mothers.