Expert Ophthalmology and Eye Care Services
From basic exams to complex eye surgeries including cataract removal and glaucoma treatment, ophthalmology patients benefit from our experienced team of physicians, nurses and technologists. Both adult and pediatric ophthalmology services are available.
Ophthalmology care at Franciscan Health
Ophthalmologists are eye care professionals who specialize in the medical treatment and surgical correction of many eye and vision problems. An ophthalmologist will commonly manage:
- Diabetic eye conditions
- Eye conditions related to medical problems or medications
- Eye Injuries
- Macular degeneration
- Retinal diseases
- Dry Eyes
- Retinal Tears
- Autoimmune-related eye disorders
- Eyelid Disorders
When should I get my eyes checked?
All children should have a vision screening around the time when they learn the alphabet, and then every 1 to 2 years afterward. Screenings should begin sooner if any eye problems are suspected.
Between ages 20 and 39:
- A complete eye exam should be done every 5 to 10 years
- Adults who wear contact lenses need yearly eye exams
- Certain eye symptoms or disorders may require more frequent exams
Adults over age 40 who have no risk factors or ongoing eye conditions should be screened:
- Every 2 to 4 years for adults ages 40 – 54
- Every 1 to 3 years for adults ages 55 – 64
- Every 1 to 2 years for adults age 65 and older
Depending on your risk factors for eye diseases and your current symptoms or illnesses, eye care professionals may recommend that you have exams more often.
Trabectome - Glaucoma Treatment
Franciscan Health Munster was the first hospital in Indiana to purchase Trabectome - a minimally invasive ophthalmology surgery for glaucoma treatment. The procedure takes approximately 20 minutes and maintains a remarkably high success rate with minimal side effects