Pulmonary Medicine: Improving Life with Lung Disease
Franciscan Health’s pulmonary medicine designs education and exercise treatment plans to build strength and endurance for people who have chronic lung diseases. People who participate in pulmonary rehab tend to have fewer hospitalizations and improved quality of life.
Pulmonary medicine can help you:
- Improve physical functioning
- Learn more about your disease or disorder and how to cope
- Learn to manage your disease and reduce your dependence on costly medical resources
- Learn healthy behaviors such as smoking cessation, breathing retraining, medications, infection control, energy management, relaxation and nutrition.
- Enhance your self-confidence
What does a pulmonologist treat?
Everyday activities can be overwhelming for persons with emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or any other chronic respiratory condition. If you have been diagnosed with a respiratory ailment, you know all too well that breathing can be an exhausting struggle robbing you of life’s pleasures.
Franciscan Health pulmonologists offer pulmonary rehabilitation services that are individualized and closely monitored by health care professionals who help our patients develop skills to manage their condition and restore quality of life.
Our team of pulmonary rehabilitation specialists will work with your physician to develop a specific program just for you.
- The exercise portion of your program is based on your condition and ability. You will be assessed for strength, flexibility and endurance. You will be guided through exercises designed to improve your endurance, strength, stamina, flexibility and self-confidence.
- In addition, you will learn breathing techniques, find answers to your questions about prescribed medications, receive nutritional information and learn how to get the most out of life by conserving your energy and pacing yourself.
- We also teach relaxation and breathing methods to aid you in controlling shortness of breath and anxiety.