Tobacco addiction is a serious issue and the leading cause of illness and death in our society. Tobacco cessation programs at Franciscan Health help you break free from the addiction to tobacco and lead a healthier life.
Search our physician directory for help finding a doctor who is right for you.
Welcome to Franciscan Health
Tobacco Cessation Classes Help Break the Habit
Tobacco use is the leading cause of illness and death in our society, responsible for more than 430,000 deaths in the U.S. each year. Smoking is a known cause of cancer, heart disease, stroke, complications of pregnancy and lung disease. Additionally, those who inhale secondhand smoke face the same health risks as smokers.
Let us help you become tobacco free
Franciscan Health tobacco cessation programs are here to help you quit smoking, chewing and stop using all tobacco products. In order to overcome tobacco use, it needs to be treated like an addiction. Treating an addiction means changing our behavior. Our tobacco cessation programs use a non-judgmental, personalized approach to help you change your behavior around tobacco use.
Tobacco cessation program details
While each Franciscan Health location may differ, the core components of each tobacco cessation program are the same:
- Individual or group meetings with your tobacco cessation coordinator to develop an individual quit plan.
- Group classes that feature a mixture of tobacco education, guest speakers and time for support group, where everyone gets a chance to talk and share experiences along their path to quitting tobacco.
Class topics often include:
- Medicines that can aid in tobacco cessation
- Lifestyle changes that can help make quitting smoking and tobacco easier
- Preparing for “quit day”
- Managing stress
- Avoiding weight gain
- Developing a new self-image
- Staying smoke-free and tobacco-free for good
Tobacco cessation programs include follow-up support. The program is not just about quitting but relapse prevention, not returning to smoking or chewing. Together the participant and the coordinator will create a plan to help you be successful.