12 Tips to Manage the Minutes of Your Day
In today’s busy world we seem to pursue time relentlessly hoping to add a minute here, an hour there in order to get our work done. Often we scurry from one task to another - checking e-mails, cell phones, making calls - thinking we are working harder and being productive.
The truth is that hectic activities each and every day result in breaking down both body and spirit. In addition to physical and mental exhaustion, the guilt of not spending enough time with our loved ones, eating poorly and not sleeping well makes us less productive. Still we complain there are not enough hours in a day to get things done!
The good news is that you can learn to manage your time. Each day has enough hours to accomplish what is really important, but you may have to rearrange your priorities.
H. Jackson Brown said: "Don’t say you don’t have enough time! You have the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Luis Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Theresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein."
Managing time is not about squeezing as many tasks into one day. It is about simplifying how we work, doing things more efficiently and relieving stress on a daily basis.
Tips to Manage Time
- Complete most important tasks first.
- Learn to say “no”.
- Sleep at least 6-7 hours.
- Devote your entire focus to the task at hand.
- Organize your work, and start when you get to work. Do not allow unimportant details to bog you down.
- Batch related tasks together. Eliminate non-essentials.
- Turn regular tasks into habits.
- Set a time limit to complete a task. Allow down-time between tasks.
- Do not overwhelm yourself with a massive to-do list.
- Commit to your plan and follow through.
- Find time to be still and do nothing.
- Remember, there are only 24 hours in each day NOT 36 or 48.
By Nicky Smith, MS
Franciscan Employee Assistance Program