5 Tips on How to Stay Fit and Healthy During the Holidays
You may be asking yourself, "How can I possibly enjoy the holidays and all the yummy food without gaining weight?"
- Pack and plan meals (and snacks!) in advance so you don't opt for unhealthy grab and go items this holiday season. The best on the go snacks combine a carbohydrate high in fiber and a protein low in fat such as an apple and string cheese, hummus and wheat crackers, celery and peanut butter.
- Drink 16 oz of water and have a light snack about 1-3 hours before your holiday party to help curb hunger.
- Limit alcoholic beverages at parties. The more you drink, the more you will eat! Try sipping on some water or other low calorie flavored water in between beverages.
- Offer to bring a healthy recipe to your holiday party. Most recipes can be made healthier by making small substitutions and your family and friends won't taste the difference.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise! The best way to not gain weight during the holidays is to burn off the extra calories!
- Take a walk around the neighborhood to admire the Christmas lights.
- Snow-shoeing, Skiing, Ice-skating.
- Meet a friend at the gym or to walk the track.
- Find a winter fun run.
By Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
Registered Dietitian/Health Coach, Franciscan WELLCARE