50 Fitness Tips To Do at Work!
1. Set a goal for the length of time you will exercise or the distance you will cover while exercising.
2. Don’t forget to bring your walking/running shoes to work. (Side note: Buy a GOOD pair of RUNNING shoes from a RUNNING store!)
3. Schedule a convenient time during your workday to work out and do it!
4. Make plans to meet a coworker for a walk break.
5. Write in your planner when you will exercise.
6. Warm up for a few minutes before getting into a faster paced exercise.
Getting to Work
7. Ride your bike to work!
8. Park your car as far away as possible and allow extra time to walk.
9. Come to work a ½ hr early or stay after to jog or walk.
10. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
At Your Desk
11. Stretch throughout the day.
12. Squeeze a tennis ball to help strength your hand and wrist.
13. Try doing bicep curls with a paperweight.
14. Using a chair to brace yourself, do some calf raises to increase muscle strength.
15. Use your speakerphone for conference calls and stand instead of sitting!
16. Shoulder rolls, forward ten times, then repeat going backwards.
17. While sitting at your desk, rotate one foot to “write” each letter of the alphabet. Switch feet and repeat.
18. Wall sits during those conferences calls or on your break.
19. Get out of your chair and move around for a few minutes an hour.
20. Shoulder shrugs are a great way to loosen up tight muscles. Repeat 5-10 times.
21. Keep a water cup close by, but don’t forget to get up and keep filling it up! Everyone should drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
22. Stretch your lower back. While seated, slowly bend forward at the waist. Reach forward with your hands until they reach the floor. Hold for 15 seconds before slowly coming up.
23. Move your feet and legs while you are sitting at your desk to burn calories and increase energy.
Take a Break
24. Spice up your breaks with a jaunt around the building.
25. Do you need to clear your head? Get up and take a five minute walk.
26. If you can't take a break for 20 minutes, try taking 10-minute walks, twice daily.
27. Leave a few minutes early for meetings to allow time to stretch your legs a bit.
28. Using the phone to talk to the person down the hall? Get up and get moving. The walk will do you good.
29. Top off your lunch break with a 15 minute walk.
30. Going out to lunch? Why not choose a spot some distance away and walk.
31. Eat some whole grain carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables for energy.
32. Going on a trip? Take advantage of fitness facilities at your hotel.
33. Walk instead of using the moving airport walkways.
34. Pack hand and ankle weights for strength training on trips.
35. Try selecting indoor and outdoor activities
36. Grab a buddy, exercising is always more fun with a friend.
37. Join a local health club for workday workouts
38. Keep track of your mileage. Choose a vacation spot and walk to it!
39. Have you met your goal? Don’t forget to reward yourself.
40. Bring along an ipod to play your favorite songs.
41. Habits are much easier to keep if you ENJOY them. Find something you like!
42. If you aren’t too excited about a strenuous workout, try something more key like a walk or yoga. The important thing is just to keep moving!
43. To prevent boredom: change activity or location of activity often.
44. Don’t get down if you miss a workout, just schedule your next one.
45. Keep a record of your daily workouts.
46. Get a co-worker to join you for a lunch or break time walk.
47. Pick activities you like to do!
48. Buy some new exercise shoes (I recommend running shoes) and clothes.
49. Just Do It! 10 minutes is better than none at all!
50. If you have access to one, work with a Wellnes/Health Coach. They can help with workouts, goal setting, diet help and more!
By Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
Registered Dietitian/Health Coach, Franciscan WELLCARE