Franciscan Health Now Offers Outpatient Breastfeeding Services In Crawfordsville
CRAWFORDSVILLE, Indiana - Franciscan Health Crawfordsville is now offering outpatient breastfeeding services at the hospital. The lactation consultant, Cortney Riley, is a registered nurse and IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) is available for appointments from Monday through Friday.
Support can be provided for the following:
- Latching difficulties
- Nipple pain or bleeding
- Concerns regarding milk supply
- Questions about pumping, storing milk or returning to work
- Guidance with the selection of a breast pump based on personal needs
A breastfeeding appointment may be needed for any of the following reasons:
- Baby is feeding less than eight times in 24 hours or feedings last for one hour or more
- Baby is having less than five to six wet diapers or fewer than three yellow stools by four days of age, or is still having blackish green stools by day five
- You don't hear baby gulping or swallowing at the breast
- Nipples are painful, cracked or bleeding.
- Baby seems to be breastfeeding "all the time"
- Baby consistently falls asleep within a minute or two at the breast
- Latching your baby is difficult or frustrating
- When you have milk supply or weight gain concerns
- Special circumstances such as premature or late pre-term birth, twins or maternal health concerns
Franciscan Health Crawfordsville also offers breastfeeding classes to help expectant mothers understand the special benefits of breastfeeding, how breastfeeding works, how often you will need to breastfeed and how to know if the baby is getting enough breast milk.