All of that shopping is a blessing in disguise. It's a great opportunity to get up and boost your exercise routine and burn calories while marking loved ones' wishes off the list.
- Park and walk. Save yourself the headache of waiting for a close spot in the parking lot. Park near the outskirts and walk to the store. You'll park more quickly and gain a few dozen steps in your workout.
- Walk first, shop later. As soon as you arrive at the mall or store, plan to briskly walk without stopping for 10 minutes. Window-shop at the mall, or stride around the strip mall. Your body will gear up for exercise, you'll get a boost of energy, and your mood will improve.
- Speed it up. While shopping, walk as quickly as possible. You'll burn more calories and accomplish more.
- Step up. Avoid the elevator. Walk an escalator, instead of simply riding it.
- Bag it! Choose to carry your purchases instead of piling them onto a stroller or into a cart. You'll force your body to work harder.
Find more holiday health tips at FranciscanHealth.org/HealthyHolidays.
Online Wellness Tools to Help You Stay Healthy