How to Prepare for a Hospital Career Fair
Looking for a job in nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, medical assistant, pharmacy or other job openings at a hospital? Our hospital and home health recruiters share tips on how you can prepare for a career fair and how you can stand out as a candidate.
Learn how you can prepare for on-the-spot interviews with hospital managers, how to dress for a hiring fair, how to apply for hospital jobs, and how to make a great first impression.
What to Expect at a Career Fair
If you haven't been to a career fair with Franciscan Health before, be prepared for a potential on-the-spot interview with a manager or unit tour. Depending on the location of the hiring event, you may also be able to apply online.
What to Wear
- Dress "up" for the position you are searching for.
- If you see a sign on the street and decide to walk in, don’t let your clothing deter you. Explain that you saw the sign on the street.
Preparing for an On-site Interview
Be prepared for an on-the-spot interview with a hospital hiring manager. Practice interviewing before you go. This will make you feel more prepared and comfortable.
- Know what your goals are and what you are looking for, instead of asking "What jobs do you have?"
- Be prepared to talk about your skill sets you have developed through work or volunteer activities.
- Have specific questions about organization. It shows you've done some research.
- Think about what's important to you, what you want to know, and what you hope to get out of this experience.
- When it is your turn to speak with a hospital manager, give a solid introduction: who you are, what you're interested in.
- First impressions are critical. Stay off your cell phone and silence it. Show you are interested.
- Be prepared to wait in line.
Online Applications and Resumes
- You can apply for a position in our jobs system before or after a hiring event. Some fair locations may be set up so you can apply online.
- Follow through on the entire application process. This includes responding to any follow up emails such as requests for references and a behavioral assessment.
- Resumes are helpful to bring to a hiring event. You can hand your resume to any leader- with whom you have an interest in following up.
- Include all relevant education, employment and volunteer history, including dates of employment (month and year), name of employer, and title held. If there are missing elements, a recruiter may have to reach out to you for that information.
- If there is a lapse in employment, such as a layoff, explain this in a cover letter.
Finally, bring a great attitude! We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming hiring event for Franciscan Health, Franciscan Physician Network and Franciscan VNS. Visit https://jobs.franciscanhealth.org/ or our “events” section on our Facebook page for current list of hiring events. Find more job openings at Franciscan Health hospitals and physician offices in Indiana and Illinois at https://jobs.franciscanhealth.org.