How to Prepare for a Hospital Career Fair
Looking for a job in nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, medical assistant, pharmacy or other job openings at a hospital? Our hospital and home health recruiters share tips on how you can prepare for a career fair and how you can stand out as a candidate.
Learn how you can prepare for on-the-spot interviews with hospital managers, how to dress for a hiring fair, how to apply for hospital jobs, and how to make a great first impression.
What to Expect at a Career Fair
If you haven't been to a career fair with Franciscan Health before, be prepared for a potential on-the-spot interview with a manager or unit tour. Depending on the location of the hiring event, you may also be able to apply online.
What to Wear
- Dress "up" for the position you are searching for.
- If you see a sign on the street and decide to walk in, don’t let your clothing deter you. Explain that you saw the sign on the street.
Preparing for an On-site Interview
Be prepared for an on-the-spot interview with a hospital hiring manager. Practice interviewing before you go. This will make you feel more prepared and comfortable.
- Know what your goals are and what you are looking for, instead of asking "What jobs do you have?"
- Be prepared to talk about your skill sets you have developed through work or volunteer activities.
- Have specific questions about organization. It shows you've done some research.
- Think about what's important to you, what you want to know, and what you hope to get out of this experience.
- When it is your turn to speak with a hospital manager, give a solid introduction: who you are, what you're interested in.
- First impressions are critical. Stay off your cell phone and silence it. Show you are interested.
- Be prepared to wait in line.
Online Applications and Resumes
- You can apply for a position in our jobs system before or after a hiring event. Some fair locations may be set up so you can apply online.
- Follow through on the entire application process. This includes responding to any follow up emails such as requests for references and a behavioral assessment.
- Resumes are helpful to bring to a hiring event. You can hand your resume to any leader- with whom you have an interest in following up.
- Include all relevant education, employment and volunteer history, including dates of employment (month and year), name of employer, and title held. If there are missing elements, a recruiter may have to reach out to you for that information.
- If there is a lapse in employment, such as a layoff, explain this in a cover letter.
Finally, bring a great attitude! We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming hiring event for Franciscan Health, Franciscan Physician Network and Franciscan VNS. Visit FranciscanHealth.org/events or our “events” section on our Facebook page for current list of hiring events. Find more job openings at Franciscan Health hospitals and physician offices in Indiana and Illinois at https://jobs.franciscanhealth.org.