Recipe: Carrot, Edamame And Brown Rice Skillet
Whether it's for a Meatless Monday, a Friday in Lent or just a desire to eat more plant-based meals, adding vegetable-based meals can add a boost of color to your winter dinner table. And even if it's early spring, you can still find colorful options for your dinner plate.
For National Nutrition Month, we're challenging our readers to try a new recipe each week and share their successes on our Facebook page. Today, we're featuring a Carrot, Edamame and Brown Rice Skillet. Download the printable recipe card.
This recipe takes minutes to repair.
Carrot, Edaname and Brown Rice Skillet
- ½ cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¾ cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about the juice of one lemon)
- ½ teaspoon dried crumbled thyme
- Prepare rice using package directions – omit margarine and salt.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir frequently.
- Stir in the carrots, edamame and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until they are just tender. Stir frequently.
- Stir in the rice, lemon juice and thyme.
NOTES: 1 ½ cup serving = 144 calories; 0.5 g saturated fat; 45 mg Na, 21 g carb, 5 gm fiber; 6 gm sugar, 6 gm protein