When you or someone you care about is considering same-day total joint replacement, it's normal to be apprehensive. But knowing what to expect – whether you're a patient or a caregiver (healthcare partner) – will help make the entire process as worry-free as possible.
Safety – The First Priority
"Before a same-day joint replacement surgery even takes place, Franciscan Health takes every precaution to ensure the safety of the patient," said Anthony Feher, MD, orthopedic surgeon with Franciscan Health Center for Hip & Knee Surgery. A candidate must pass a wellness risk assessment and be medically cleared by our internist. We recommend but do not mandate that a candidate:
- Have a healthcare partner (caregiver)
- Have relatively good health
- Be less than 75 years old
- Have a BMI of less than 40
- Limit tobacco use
Role Of The Healthcare Partner
Franciscan Health will prepare healthcare partners to take care of their loved ones at home following surgery.
"Of course, every patient's healthcare partner is essential in the recovery process as well." said Dr. Feher.
Managing pain, organizing medication and generally assisting in the recovery process are all part of this very important role. For patients to qualify for surgery, their healthcare partners must:
- Commit to being at all pre-op visits and present the day of the surgery
- Commit to remaining with the patient for a minimum of four days post-op
- Be trained to administer basic post-surgical care
Franciscan Is Here To Help – Every Step Of The Way
Whether you're a patient or a healthcare partner, rest assured, Franciscan Heath will be with you through each step of the process. We'll provide you with comprehensive education and assistance from initial consultation through recovery.
- Both the patient and healthcare partner will be part of an extensive, informative phone call with our nurses.
- A Franciscan Health therapist will educate patients and their healthcare partners through an individualized personal joint replacement session. This session covers preparing for the surgery, getting the house ready and performing helpful exercises. It also provides details regarding pre- and post-operative expectations.
- A Franciscan Health internist will reiterate pre- and post-surgery expectations and assist you in organizing and administering individual medications.
- Following surgery, the surgical team will provide you with a direct line of contact. They are available to answer all questions and address any concerns you have.
- Prior to discharge, both the patient and healthcare partner will review specific discharge instructions from the physician assistant regarding post-op care.
A More Pain-Free, Active Lifestyle
"While every patient's situation is unique, same-day total joint replacement surgery can be a safe and effective way to reduce your pain," said Dr. Feher. Follow instructions. Commit yourself to recovery. Work with your healthcare partner. Before you know it, you can achieve advanced mobility, a dramatic reduction in pain and the freedom to live life on your terms again.