Chili is a favorite when it comes to the fall and football season. It's versatile, but it's also easy to pack on the calories, sodium and fat grams.
Our registered dietitians at Franciscan Health offer tips on lightening up your chili without sacrificing fullness or flavor, and offer two slow cooker chili recipes perfect for your next get-together.
Lighten Up Your Chili
- Use the leanest cut of beef or substitute lean ground turkey.
- Use 2% shredded cheese.
- Limit the sour cream.
- Watch sodium by using lower sodium broth and canned tomatoes.
View this post on Instagram
Delicious Crockpot Turkey Chili Recipe
Alexa Roe, RD, CD, registered dietitian, Franciscan Health Lafayette East
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- One (1) 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- One (1) 15.5-ounce can kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- One 1) 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- One (1) 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 4 bell peppers diced, any color
- 2 ½ tablespoons ground chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add ground turkey. Break up large pieces and stir until evenly browned.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large crockpot, add remaining ingredients; pinto beans through ground cumin. Stir ingredients until well combined.
- Add ground turkey mixture to crockpot. Stir once more until everything is well combined.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve topped with avocado slices and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili
Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN, registered dietitian, Franciscan WELLCARE
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- One (1) 28-ounce can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- One (1) 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel brand
- Two (2) 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
- One (1) 15-ounce can of corn, drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Toss all ingredients into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high.
- Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Top with cheese (2%), sour cream (fat free or light), or avocados.
Need more chili options? Check out these recipes: