Bariatric Surgery For Weight Loss
While exercise and healthy eating are good for long-range health, some people need more help to lose the extra weight. For patients who have been unable to lose weight, weight loss surgery is a step towards better health and a longer life.
Highly Skilled, Advanced Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric surgery provides the tool to assist you in your weight loss and has been proven to be the most effective intervention for successful and sustainable weight loss. If you are interested in or want to learn more about weight loss surgery options, call one of our locations for a consultation.
Who can get bariatric surgery?
You do not need to have exhausted alternative weight loss programs or options before you talk about bariatric surgery. Whether or not you are a candidate for bariatric surgery will, ultimately, be decided by your surgeon.
Weight loss surgery is likely an option if you have a:
- BMI of 40 or more with no health conditions
- BMI of 35 with two obesity-related health issues (such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, arthritis, sleeping disorders, or other conditions)
Not sure of your BMI? Try our BMI calculator.
Obesity-related health issues are conditions associated with obesity because they come on more often and can be more serious when obesity is present. Weight reduction can help resolve health conditions that stem from obesity.
Talking to a bariatric surgeon can help:
- Decide the surgery that is best suited for your needs
- Explain your options and what to expect
- Give you an estimate of how much weight you can expect to lose and in what time frame
Why Choose Franciscan Health for Bariatric Surgery?
At Franciscan Health, your weight loss surgery plan is tailored to you. In addition to providing advanced bariatric surgery procedures, we offer a variety of supportive programs and providers who can collaborate as members of your total healthcare team.
- Clinical team dedicated and focused in the bariatric surgery process
- Registered dietitians who concentrate on diet for bariatric surgery patients
- Psychologists to assist in your readiness for surgery
- Financial counselors available to discuss financial concerns and payment plans
- Insurance services that work directly with your insurance provider to sort through coverage issues and concerns
These supportive programs work together to help ensure that every patient is treated holistically – mind, body and spirit.
To get started:
- Confirm you have bariatric coverage by speaking with one of our insurance specialists
- Schedule an appointment
Not ready to make an appointment, but want more information? Visit our event center to find a weight loss seminar in your area.
Will insurance cover bariatric surgery
Health insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare, does cover weight loss surgery and may also cover bariatric surgery revisions. To verify if your insurance plan covers bariatric surgery, contact one of our bariatric centers.
Locations Near Me
Olympia Fields, IL 60461
Events at Franciscan Health