Patients with cancer may have a higher risk of developing heart disease, as cancer therapies may affect the heart and vascular systems. Cardio-oncology care focuses on the needs of cancer patients with a history of heart disease or those who may develop heart complications during or after treatment.
Specialized Cardiac Care for Needs of Cancer Patients
Cardio-oncology care focuses on the needs of cancer patients with a history of cardiovascular disease or those who may develop cardiac complications during or after treatment.
Patients with cancer may have a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease, as cancer therapies may affect the heart and vascular systems. It is important to prevent, monitor and treat cardiovascular disease in patients going through cancer treatment to ensure long-term health.
Our experts at Franciscan Physician Network - Indiana Heart Physicians in Indianapolis collaborate with oncologists to provide comprehensive cardiovascular care to patients with cancer who have, or are at risk for, heart disease.
Giving a patient as much information as possible about their treatment plan and what to expect is crucial.
Care for cardio-oncology patients includes:
- Heart risk assessment of patients prior to cancer treatment
- Care for cancer patients with existing cardiovascular disease
- Monitor and treat patients for heart complications during cancer treatment
- Assessment of long-term cardiac risk in cancer survivors
- Research on heart treatment and cancer patients