Franciscan Health pediatric services are designed to meet the unique medical, emotional, and developmental needs of children. Doctors, nurses and staff are specially trained to make your childs stay as pleasant as possible.
Need a doctor? Search our physician directory for help finding a pediatrician who is right for you.
Welcome to Franciscan Health
Pediatrics: Focused On a Child's Special Needs
Pediatric services at Franciscan Health are focused on helping children heal and stay healthy. From the tiniest infant to the changing adolescent, our pediatrics associates – including board-certified, local pediatricians – know how to care for your child’s special needs.
- Inpatient Pediatrics - for children experiencing acute and chronic illnesses, trauma or surgery
- Outpatient Pediatrics - surgery, diagnostic testing, and rehabilitation
- 24/7 emergency care and convenient urgent care services
- Home Care services
- Behavioral Health - In Dyer, we offer an adolescent residential treatment program for youth, ages 12 through 18, who would be unsuccessful without a highly structured and controlled environment.
From the tiniest infant to the changing adolescent, the pediatricians on the Franciscan Health medical staff know how to care for your child’s special needs. Pediatricians primarily focus on keeping your child as healthy as possible, including ensuring your child is developing normally, is meeting milestones and is getting the vaccinations or other treatments they need. Your child’s pediatrician or family physician will serve as his or her primary care doctor, diagnosing and treating:
- Organic diseases and dysfunctions
Pediatricians are concerned with more than your child’s physical well-being. They also are involved with the prevention, early detection and management of other problems that affect children and adolescents, including:
- Behavioral difficulties
- Functional problems
- Social stresses
- Depression or anxiety disorder
Choosing the right pediatrician
Need a pediatrician? This is an important decision not only for your child’s health but for a parent’s piece of mind. Remember, a good pediatrician is more than someone you call when your baby has a fever or if your child is complaining about sore throat. Through regularly scheduled visits and check-ups, a pediatrician is there to help manage your child’s health and development, to address concerns and answer your questions you may have along the way.
If you are looking for a pediatrician, you may want to start by asking those you trust for recommendations - like your family physician, obstetrician, family, friends and colleagues.
When you are ready to interview a potential pediatrician, you should take into account:
- Office hours – Can you schedule evening or weekend appointments? What is the availability during emergencies?
- Phone calls - who answers your calls when you have a question? Do you speak with a nurse or directly with your doctor? After hours – Is there an answering service? When will someone return phone calls?
- What is their view on health care including preventative medicine and nutrition?
- Is there another pediatric doctor covering for when your pediatrician is unavailable?
- Are they board-certified?
- What’s the office environment like?