Those suffering from chronic respiratory conditions such as emphysema or COPD will benefit from a monitored pulmonary rehabilitation plan. Franciscan Health offers a phased pulmonary rehab program to improve quality of life.
Need a specialist? Search our physician directory for a pulmonologist who is right for you.
Welcome to Franciscan Health
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Improves Quality of Life
Everyday activities can be overwhelming for persons with emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or any other chronic respiratory condition. If you have been diagnosed with a respiratory ailment, you know all too well that breathing can be an exhausting struggle robbing you of life’s pleasures.
The pulmonary rehab program at Franciscan Health is individualized and closely monitored by healthcare professionals who help you develop skills to manage your condition and restore quality of life.
Benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation
- Improved understanding of lung disease and its treatment
- Reduced hospitalizations
- Improved self-esteem
- Decreased anxiety and depression due to lung disease
- Better understanding of the use and function of medications
- Coping skills on dealing with bad weather
Personalized pulmonary rehab programs
You will need a referral from your doctor. Our team of pulmonary rehabilitation specialists will work with your physician to develop a specific program just for you. The exercise portion of your program is based on your condition and ability. You will be assessed for strength, flexibility and endurance. You will be guided through exercises designed to improve your endurance, strength, stamina, flexibility and self-confidence.
In addition, you will learn breathing techniques, find answers to your questions about prescribed medications, receive nutritional information and learn how to get the most out of life by conserving your energy and pacing yourself. We teach relaxation and breathing methods to aid you in controlling shortness of breath and anxiety.
A closely monitored, phased approach to pulmonary rehab
Our pulmonary rehab program consists of four phases (I, II, III, and IV) of rehabilitation. Each phase provides close medical supervision, including continuous monitoring of vital signs. The program is designed to meet the needs and abilities of participants at their individual stage of health recovery.
- Phase I is specific to hospitalized patients.
- Phase II rehabilitation is conducted on an outpatient basis and is open to anyone requiring pulmonary rehabilitation. While in Phase II, individualized treatment plans are designed for each participant that includes exercise, education and counseling in areas such as quitting smoking, weight control and medication use. During this phase, participants are taught how to manage chronic lung disease.
- Phase III of the pulmonary rehabilitation program acts as a bridge between monitored exercise and a self-care program.
- Phase IV is designed for participants who wish to continue their exercise program in a medically supervised setting. While in Phase IV, participants receive additional education regarding how to self-monitor oxygen levels and heart rates.