Shoulder Tendonitis Treatment
Severe pain in your shoulder that's caused by tendonitis can turn even routine activities, like cooking or cleaning, into a major project. Shoulder tendonitis treatment from experienced specialists at Franciscan Health can put you at ease.
Why You May Need Shoulder Tendonitis Treatments
Also called shoulder impingement and rotator cuff tendonitis, shoulder tendonitis is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons. The rotator cuff tendons connect your upper arm bone (humerus) to your shoulder blade.
Tendonitis is among the common causes of shoulder pain. It can result from playing sports with repeated overhead arm movement, like tennis and swimming strokes.
Symptoms of shoulder tendonitis may include:
- Decreased range of motion
- Pain in your shoulder
- Shoulder weakness or the inability to hold your arm in certain positions
At Franciscan Health, we diagnose shoulder tendonitis with a physical exam and imaging.
Nonsurgical tendonitis treatment may include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen and aspirin
- Steroid injection to reduce inflammation
- Strengthening exercises
- Ultrasound therapy
What to expect from shoulder tendonitis surgery
Shoulder tendonitis surgery removes the inflamed part of the bursa, which lubricates the shoulder blade and collarbone. Your surgeon may also remove part of the bone on top of your shoulder. This may be done through minimally invasive arthroscopic shoulder surgery or open surgery.
- Open surgery – is performed through a small incision in the front of your shoulder. Your surgeon can directly access the top of the shoulder and rotator cuff.
- Arthroscopy – requires two or three small incisions through which your surgeon inserts small instruments and an arthroscope, a small tube with a video camera. Arthroscopic surgery usually results in less pain and faster recovery time.
Full recovery from shoulder tendonitis surgery may take from two months to a year, depending on your condition. Your arm may be in a sling for a short period to reduce movement and speed healing. You also will have rehabilitation, such as physical therapy, at Franciscan Health.
Locations Near Me
Greenwood, IN 46143