Weight Loss Surgery
While exercise and healthy eating are good for long-range health, some people need more help to lose the extra weight. For patients who have been unable to lose weight, weight loss surgery is a step towards better health and a longer life.
Highly Skilled, Advanced Weight Loss Surgery
Franciscan Health offers surgical options for individuals who have been unsuccessful losing weight with other methods and have a BMI of 40 or more or a BMI of 35 with a co-morbid condition. Our experienced surgeons offer:
Conditions for weight loss surgery include:
The decision to have weight loss surgery should come with careful consideration. By providing information and answering questions, your surgeon will work with you to determine what type of bariatric surgery is best for you.
What makes weight loss surgery at Franciscan Health different?
In addition to providing advanced bariatric surgery procedures and board-certified bariatric surgeons, Franciscan Health weight loss services feature a highly skilled staff, including:
- Registered nurses with additional training in bariatric populations
- Registered dietitians who focus on diet for bariatric surgery patients and people wanting to lose weight in our medical program
- Behavioral counselors and psychologists
- Insurance/financial counselors
These professionals work with you to customize an individual pre-surgery and post-surgery program that will give you the knowledge and support you need to succeed at your weight loss goals. That support, together with our mission of “continuing Christ’s ministry in our Franciscan tradition,” ensures every patient is treated holistically–body, mind and spirit.
How do I know if my bariatric surgery will be successful?
Bariatric surgery is a tool to lose weight. However, you can help increase your chances for a successful surgery by:
- Not smoking or drinking alcohol prior to or following surgery
- Drinking water and avoiding caffeine
- Beginning an exercise program, if you are able, before surgery
- Joining a support group to receive the encouragement you’ll need after surgery
Following your surgeon’s and bariatric physician's recommendations will help you continue to lose weight healthfully and address any issues that may arise.
Locations Near Me
Events at Franciscan Health