Franciscan Health In Central Indiana Implements Visitor Restrictions As Flu Surges
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana – With the escalation of flu-like cases, Franciscan Health is working with local public health agencies in central Indiana.
Franciscan will implement a temporary visitation policy at its hospitals in Indianapolis, Mooresville and Carmel, and at the Franciscan Surgery Center in Indianapolis, effective 7 a.m., Friday, December 20.
The policy is:
- Only immediate family as identified by the patient or patient’s designated representative will be allowed to visit.
- No visitors under 18 years of age unless they are seeking medical care or are the parents of pediatric patients. (Note: An exception is made for siblings visiting in postpartum. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times and should be in good health without signs of respiratory infection.)
- No visitors who have symptoms suggestive of influenza will be allowed.
"This extra line of protection is needed right now in order to reduce the risk of exposing patients, visitors and hospital staff to the flu virus," said Christopher Doehring, MD, vice president of medical affairs. "Influenza is a contagious virus that can cause significant illness and, in certain cases, lead to hospitalization or death."
Visitor restrictions to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Franciscan Health Indianapolis were implemented earlier because of increasing cases of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) cases in Marion County.
The Marion County Public Health Department reports there has been a marked increase of influenza-like illness (ILI) and RSV cases at area hospitals and emergency departments in recent weeks.
Additionally, Franciscan Health facilities will:
- Display signage describing visitation policy to the public
- Ensure that all access points are well stocked with disposable masks and hand sanitizers
- Strongly encourage all families, vendors, staff and volunteers to be particularly vigilant about hand washing and covering coughs
Visitors with any questions about the restrictions should call the Franciscan Health hospital they plan to visit before arriving. Indianapolis: (317) 528-5000; Mooresville: (317) 831-1160; Carmel: (317) 705-4500; and Franciscan Surgery Center: (317) 528-5900.
Franciscan Health urges the public to check with their primary care providers to obtain flu vaccines. Patients also have the opportunity to receive shots at:
Franciscan ExpressCare (urgent care centers)
- 5210 East Thompson Road, Indianapolis, 46237 (317) 782-7500
- 1001 North Madison Avenue, Greenwood, 46142 (317) 528-7500
- 325 South Alabama Street, Suite 100, Indianapolis, 46204 (317) 705-4785
- 1703 West Stones CrossIng Road, Suite 100, Greenwood, 46143 (317) 528-5000
Hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.
Franciscan Health After-Hours Clinics (Indianapolis and Mooresville)
- 7855 South Emerson Avenue, Suite P, Indianapolis, 46237 (317) 781-7343
- 1001 Hadley Road, LL100, Mooresville, 46158 (317) 781-7344
Hours are 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; Noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
To view all hospital visitor restrictions across Franciscan Health, visit FranciscanHealth.org/VisitorRestrictions.
By Joe Stuteville
Media Relations Manager - email@example.com