Instant Pot Recipe: Lemon Dill Salmon
As a dietitian, I am always looking for new healthy recipes to try.
I got an Instant Pot as a gift this past Christmas. While this electronic pressure cooker intimidated me at first, I worked up the courage to finally use my Instant Pot a few weeks later. I now could not live without this kitchen gadget!
I use my Instant Pot at least two times per week. When I first I searched for healthy Instant Pot recipes, I didn't have much luck. Many recipes called for a whole bottle of ranch dressing or two blocks of cream cheese, and I was looking for something that had more health benefits for my family. I like to choose meals with healthy unsaturated fats, light on the sodium, heavy on the vegetables and still delicious!
I decided to create a steamed salmon recipe of my own for the Instant Pot. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, potassium and selenium (just to name a few).
According to the American Heart Association, two (2) servings of fatty fish per week can significantly reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
I chose to season my salmon with dill this time, but I have also tried many other seasonings. A few other options are rosemary, garlic and honey, or a salt-free seasoning.
Lemon Dill Salmon Instant Pot Recipe
- 2 fresh or thawed salmon filets
- 1 large lemon cut into 4 slices
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Fill bottom of Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
- Place 2 salmon filets on trivet inside Instant Pot.
- Pour olive oil on top of filets.
- Sprinkle dill seasoning over salmon filets.
- Place 2 slices of lemon on each filet.
- Shut instant pot and set to "sealing" function.
- Select steam function and set for 3 minutes.
- Quick release to release steam.
- Plate salmon and serve with vegetables of choice. I chose sautéed zucchini this time! It's also great with roasted peppers, baked asparagus or a spinach salad.
Want more food trends? Check out 5 Food Trends To Try (And 2 To Skip).
By Jessica McKeever, MS, RD, CD
Registered Dietitian, Franciscan Health Lafayette East